Great Kei Local Municipality

MAIZE HANDOVER

2017/12/15

AGRICULTURE-MAIZE SEED HANDOVER

On the 08th December 2017 the Mayor of Great Kei Municipality, Councillor Loyiso Tshetsha Handed over Maize Seeds to farmers from within the muncipality. The Municipality set aside R 200 000 for 2017/18 financial year to supply farmers with maize seeds.

  • Maize is planted mainly between mid-October and mid-December. The rainfall pattern and other weather conditions of a particular season determine the planting period as well as the length of the growing season.
  • About 60% of maize produced in South Africa has been white and the other 40% yellow maize (DAFF, 2015). BFAP (2016, 2017) expects this to have changed by 2021, with farmers shifting towards yellow maize and oilseeds. Yellow maize is easier to trade globally (BFAP, 2017)
  • Yellow maize is the most important ingredient in feed rations for dairy, beef, poultry and egg production.
  • Improved maize yields over time are attributed to precision farming, mechanization and improved seed varieties (ABSA, 2016).

The municipality procured 70 bags x 80kg and 60kg of maize to supply farmers in Mooiplaas-170 hectares. The maize is allocated as follows:

Maize Handover 3 MAize Handover 2 Maize Handover 1

VILLAGE QUANTITY HECTARES
Makhaza 9x bags 20 hectares
Nyarha 9x bags 20 hectares
Silatsha 15x bags 35 hectares
Ngxingxolo 37x bags 95 hectares
TOTAL= 70 170

Vision

To achieve a peaceful and sustainable environment, where all communities enjoy an improved quality of life.

Mission

Provide affordable services, democratic governance and employment through infrastructural development, thriving agriculture, commerce, SMME’S and tourism activities

Read more »

Upcoming Events

Follow Us